Use the Admin Console to transfer complete (KBs) to other servers. The knowledgebase export format makes it possible to transfer tables, table definitions, scripts, escalation rules, inbound email definitions, and other KB customizations, in addition to the source data, format options, and field mappings that can be transferred with simple table .
To transfer the KB to another server, import the file on the target server. All tables in the KB are transferred when you use this method, and everything is stored in a single file.
- Only the users with project import and export permissions can export the entire in format. To give a group import and export permissions for your knowledgebase, enable the "Allow exporting knowledgebase" option on the .
- You must have access to the admin console to import the knowledgebase on the target server.
- Check the version on each server. You can transfer KBs from a lower version to a higher version, but not from a higher version to a lower . To see the current version, log in and go to Help > About in the upper right corner.
- For large knowledgebases, you must have server access to move the file from the source server to the TMP directory on the target server.
Transfer a Knowledgebase to a Different Server
To transfer a KB to another server, export the KB from its current server and import it on the target server.
- From the power user interface of the KB you want to transfer, go to Setup > Export.
- On the Destination tab, choose where to save the file:
- For small KBs, you can choose Local hard drive. This makes it easy to upload the file in the next section.
- For large KBs greater than 1 GB in size, save the file to the home or TMP directory on the server.
- On the Data Format tab, select the format.
- On the Options tab, choose whether to
- . File attachments can significantly increase the size of the export file, especially for large KBs.
- Enter any comments you want to save with the export.
- Click Finish.
- If you saved the KB to the server, access the server now and move the file to the TMP directory on the target server. This requires server access.
You can also use the Backup function in the admin console to export a KB. For more information, see Creating Backup Files.
- From the admin console of the target server, go to KB Management > Import.
- Select the source and file name for the KB file you need to transfer.
- In the Knowledgebase Name field, enter a name for your knowledgebase.
- Configure any remaining options as desired.
- Click Finish.