SMTP Email in the Admin Console
The SMTP section at Communications > SMTP controls the setup of the SMTP server used by a particular installation of Agiloft. The Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) server delivers outgoing mail.
The server defined in the admin console becomes the default SMTP server used for sending outbound emails in every KB in the same Agiloft installation, or on the same server. Different SMTP servers can be configured for individual KBs through the power user interface.
To configure the server:
- Specify the IP address or hostname of the SMTP server; for example, smtp.yourhostname.com. If the SMTP server is on the same machine as
Agiloft the hostname will be
- Specify the port the server uses. The default is 25. For a SSL/TLS connection, the port is 465. For STARTTLS, the port number is 587.
- Enter authentication for the SMTP server. Not all SMTP servers require authentication. If this is the case, leave both the login and password fields blank.
- Optionally, enter a valid e-mail address for Agiloft to send a test e-mail. This step is not required but will confirm that the SMTP server is set up correctly.
- Select a default outbound email address. Each email generated manually or automatically within Agiloft may be configured to use its own outgoing email address. This field specifies the default outgoing address for all hosted KBs. The outbound address entered here does not have to be a valid address.
While the outbound address specified need not be a valid address, in order to prevent emails from being rejected by spam filters, addresses should avoid obvious spam-like structures, for example,
The admin console controls only the server-wide default outbound address. Configuration of inbound email addresses, MS Outlook integration, and other communications settings happens via the
Agiloft power user interface.