What's New: 2018_02
Agiloft's minor software releases happen continuously throughout the year, while major releases happen about twice per year. This page highlights some of the most important recent enhancements to the software.
This page covers updates from this release number:
|Release Number||Build Number|
You can find the latest Agiloft downloadable installer at https://www.agiloft.com/ewdownload/, or contact Support to request an upgrade if your knowledgebase is hosted in the cloud. The most recent release notes from the last major release can be found here: Release Notes.
The Dashboard of the Power User Interface has been significantly redesigned, allowing users to create responsive tile-based widgets, showing a quick view of record progress and saved searches related to you. Previously, this was called the Home Page.
The video below shows how the dashboard can be used in action, with the various widget types, operations, and filters that can be applied to a user's home screen.
From here you can launch actions that are of interest to you and see various charts showing the state of records. It acts as a home page by providing access to appropriate information immediately upon login, such as a list of open assigned incidents, and displays relevant charts and reports. The power user can see high-level overviews of actionable information and quickly assess needed action.
Internal hotlinks can be added to the widgets to give direct Create access to records in any table, views of any saved searches on any tables, and so on.
For more information, see Dashboards.
For a better user experience, we recommend in most cases setting this new global variable to Yes. This will make all charts used in the dashboard interactive and allow new drill down capabilities.
Keyboard Shortcuts Redesign with Personalization Options
Keyboard shortcuts in Agiloft have been greatly improved, with a set of useful default key combinations, new setup options, and improved functionality within the system. Shortcuts allow power users to navigate through the Agiloft interface and perform labor-intensive tasks much more quickly.
The following video illustrates how to use shortcuts in a knowledgebase:
For more information, see Keyboard Shortcuts.
Responsive Layout for the End User Interface
The End User Interface now has a responsive layout, which automatically adapts to changing screen sizes such as mobile devices.
"Temporary Instructional" display option was added for text fields
The Display tab of the Short Text and Text field wizards now contains an option to enter instructional text. This will appear as greyed-out text in the field body, and will disappear once the user begins to enter text in the field.
New global variable "LDAP read timeout"
A new global variable was added to the list of variables in the power user interface: "LDAP read timeout". By default the value of this variable is 10 seconds. This changes the timeout for running queries via Active Directory; for example if the LDAP Filter uses a complex search that runs over the 10 second default timeout restriction.
Removed Code Base for Pre-2015_02 Releases
The code base was cleaned up, and as a result we no longer support releases prior to 2015_02 with a direct upgrade path. If you are running a version of Agiloft with a release date prior to 2015_02 you must upgrade to the 2017_01 release before installing a later version. See Upgrade Guide for more information.
Several enhancements were made to the DocuSign integration functionality:
Print template tag for the DocuSign "Decline" button
The DocuSign "Decline" button now has a print template tag. The correct syntax is:
DocuSign users can be authenticated as another DocuSign user
In the DocuSign integration, it is now possible to add users either with their own login details, or through another authenticated user's access tokens. In the DocuSign Users table, there is a new "Authenticate" setting with two options:
- With username - Enter a unique login and password and click Grant Access to DocuSign.
- As another user - Use the lookup to import another user account that has already been granted access to DocuSign in the knowledgebase.
This allows you to assign multiple users to a single company DocuSign account.
Document Conversion Action "Convert PDF to Word"
In the Convert Document Format Action, a new document conversion type was added: "Convert PDF to MS Word".
Previously this action only allowed conversions to happen from MS Word to PDF. The new action has the same options as before. For more information, see Document Actions.
Several enhancements were made to email and SMS processing:
New global variable "Inbound letters limit"
A new variable was added to the Global Variables list in the Power User Interface: "inbound_processing_count_limit". This variable defines how many emails can be received during one pop3/imap session. For more information see Global Variables List.
New options for images in inbound emails
In the Record Mapping tab of the Inbound Email wizard, some new options were added to manage emails in the email body:
If you do not want to keep the image in the email body, you can choose to eliminate it from the incoming email, or save it as an attachment.
Group permission settings for Email/SMS
In the Menu Permissions tab of the Table Permissions wizard for group permissions, new settings were added for "Send Emails" and "Send SMS", which control the group's permissions to send email/SMS messages for each table.
Several enhancements were made to the entity set sync process, to eliminate errors and improve tracking.
External Sync Wizard restricts operations based on the sync direction
In the External Sync wizard, the logic was improved so that the Sync Direction selected on the General tab of the wizard enforces restrictions on the Allowed Operations and the individual field sync options on the Field Mapping tab. Now, if the sync direction does not permit an operation, it will be greyed out in the menu.
Entity Set Sync now includes Quick Search fields
The Quick Search field list for a table is now included in entity set sync by default. No special settings are needed to enable this.
Background processes pause when sync is running
When a knowledgebase is being synced to, background processes are now automatically paused when sync starts. This can prevent sync failures due to these processes. The processes will start again after sync finalization, regardless of whether the sync was a success or a failure.
External Sync screen displays error messages
In the External Sync result screen, a new Error column was added to provide a detailed message about any items that failed during the sync.
Email notification after entity set sync
Email notifications have now been implemented after the finalization of an entity set sync/import. When the sync is complete, all users whose Primary Team is Admin Team will receive an email with the sync results. For more information, see Entity Set Sync.
Initiate Salesforce sync from SFDC with an action button
It is now possible to create an action button in the Salesforce Developer Console which initiates a synchronization between the Agiloft knowledgebase and Salesforce. For more information, see Initiate Salesforce Sync from the SFDC with an Action Button
Entity set sync speed improvements
Several optimizations were made to the entity set sync process, which made the average time required for synchronization significantly shorter.
The changes listed in this section describe some of the major enhancements for releases 2018_01 and earlier.
Left Pane Grouping and Customization Options and Improved User Preferences
Users can now customize and group the left pane items and manage user or team preferences at both an admin and a power user level. For more information, see: Left Pane Setup.
In the Setup > Look and Feel menu, three new configuration items are available that allow admin users to configure and apply preferences on a team basis:
- Left Pane Setup- Use this option to manage which menu items (such as Home, Setup, My Assigned, etc) and tables appear in the left pane. You can also customize the order of the menu items and tables.
- General Preferences- Use this option to manage interface preferences. For example, you can decide whether record cancellation is confirmed before closing, what page appears upon login, and whether table views show all records or remember the last search.
- Mobile/ADA Interface- Use this option to manage Mobile/ADA interface preferences. Using this option, you can decide things such as the maximum number of saved searches in the Recent Searches window, the maximum amount of text to show in a record, and the position of the field label.
Users may override their team preferences in all of these areas using the new options in the Preferences section of the Home Page. However, when you apply new team-based preferences, the team settings will temporarily override any previously configured user-specific preferences. In such a situation, the user will receive a notification when they next log in to their KB.
When they click the notification, the user can then choose whether to keep or discard the admin changes. When creating new team-based preferences, you can customize the notification message using the Notify existing users about change to their default preferences option found in the Apply tab of all three new configuration items.
The following video demonstrates how to customize your left pane:
Admin Console Redesign with Left Pane
The admin console was redesigned and reorganized, using a left pane interface similar to the Power User Interface. The new interface contains the same items and functionality as before, with a new order to group the items in the admin console. For more information, see Administrator Console.
History Management Options in Rules
On the first tab of the the Rules wizard, you can now define whether a rule should create history entries on running. This can be useful in cases where a rule can trigger other actions and result in overly long history tables.
New History Deletion Option
While mass editing or configuring a Delete Action, you can now limit the deletion of history entries to those that are older than a defined number of days. This is useful for tables that have many rules and KBs with large history tables.
Merge Document action can now output to Word and merge consecutive Word documents
The Merge Document action was improved in a number of ways to increase the options available for document merging, as well as other formatting and layout matters. Primarily, the new wizard allows users to:
- Merge multiple Microsoft Word documents into one Word document.
- During a merge to PDF, select consecutive Word documents for merging before creating the final PDF.
The wizard was also redesigned to make it easier to locate the appropriate options. For more information, see: Merge Documents Action.
Actions Tab in the Table Wizard
In the Table setup, a new Actions tab was added, which allows you to create, edit and delete all table actions. Previously this was only possible by editing rules or action buttons.
Do Not Validate Required Fields and/or Run Rules with Action Buttons
You can now configure action buttons so so they do not validate required fields or run rules and update default values when selected. For more information, see: Action Buttons.
Before and after executing the actions specified in the Action Button, the following choices are available when the option is set to Save Record:
- Validate required fields - if deselected, upon activating the button the record can be saved in a state where mandatory fields have not been entered, or entered incorrectly.
- Run rules and update default values - if deselected, upon activating the button the record will be saved without triggering the rules and default value updating that would normally be enforced on the table.
In the After executing actions section, the Validate required fields option is only available when choosing to Save and Open record for edit - this is in order to prevent the record being closed in a state where mandatory fields have not been filled in.
Since these options can result in records being saved in an incomplete state, and then have further rules run on them that could cause issues with business processes, it is advisable to exercise caution when deselecting either of them. By default, both options are selected for existing action buttons where the "save record" option is selected.
Save & Continue and Cancel & Reopen Buttons
Two new options were added to the Save and Cancel buttons at the top of record forms:
- Save & Continue - this option saves the record, runs any rules triggered by the save action, then reopens the record to the first tab to allow you to continue work on it. This can function as an autosave if you need to save your record progress.
- Cancel & Reopen - this option allows you to cancel unsaved changes, then close and reopen the record to the first tab.
These options can also be disabled in the Layout tab of the Table wizard by clicking Buttons.
IP Address Access Restrictions
It is now possible to restrict groups from accessing a knowledgebase unless they are located within a specified list of whitelisted IP addresses. For more information, see Restrict IP Addresses.
Base Fonts are Available in the HTML Editor
If fonts have been defined as base fonts in the Global tab of the current Look and Feel scheme - including custom fonts - they are also available for selection in the fonts list in the HTML editor.
Expand and Collapse Sections in Record Layouts
The layout now allows users to collapse or expand the record sections. Not only are users able to click on the section header text to collapse or expand a specific sections, they can quickly choose to expand or collapse all sections using links at the top of the layout.
Hide Tabs in Record Layout when Visibility Conditions are Not Met
Previously, tabs in the record layout were only hidden if the user had no permission to view any fields on the tab. Now, if visibility conditions for all fields in a tab are not satisfied for at least one field, the tab is hidden from the user. If the visibility conditions for any field in a tab are changed so the user can view it, the tab is automatically appears.
The Look and Feel wizard now allows you to define the appearance of charts and reports. A new Charts/Reports tab was added to the wizard, at Setup > Look and Feel > Manage Staff Schemes > edit a scheme > Charts/Reports tab.
This tab contains the following options:
- Report Grouping Header - Defines the font and color scheme for report header groupings.
- Chart Plot - Defines the color scheme for the chart background and plot.
- Chart Legend - Defines the color scheme for the chart legend.
- Chart Series - Defines the color scheme for the chart segments.
For more information, see: Charts and Reports Tutorial.
Custom Fonts in a Look and Feel Scheme
Custom fonts can now be added in a Look and Feel scheme, allowing you to make use of any standard format fonts that are not included by default with your knowledgebase.
- Navigate to Setup > Look and Feel > Manage Staff/End-User Scheme > Edit Scheme > Global tab to upload a new font into a knowledgebase.
- Once fonts have been uploaded, they can be entered as Base Fonts by typing their name into the fields.
For more information, see Look and Feel End User and Staff Wizards.
Display Sync Details
When a sync is in progress, you can now see a full list of the items being updated. You will also see whether an item is In Progress, Queued, or Completed.
URL Encryption Function
Created a new
secureHotlink(url) function which encodes URLs for action buttons to hide the password from browsers. The function treats a URL as a hotlink, retrieves the project name from it, retrieves the public key for it and encrypts the URL as secured hotlink.
secureHotlink(" is parsed as: ")
If the target server is unavailable for some reason, or the KB details are somehow wrong, an empty URL will be returned, as the key could not be retrieved for encryption.
- Dashboards Redesign
- Keyboard Shortcuts Redesign with Personalization Options
- Responsive Layout for the End User Interface
- "Temporary Instructional" display option was added for text fields
- New global variable "LDAP read timeout"
- Removed Code Base for Pre-2015_02 Releases
- DocuSign Improvements
- Document Conversion Action "Convert PDF to Word"
- Email Improvements
- Sync Improvements
- External Sync Wizard restricts operations based on the sync direction
- Entity Set Sync now includes Quick Search fields
- Background processes pause when sync is running
- External Sync screen displays error messages
- Email notification after entity set sync
- Initiate Salesforce sync from SFDC with an action button
- Entity set sync speed improvements
- Older Changes
- Left Pane Grouping and Customization Options and Improved User Preferences
- Admin Console Redesign with Left Pane
- History Management Options in Rules
- New History Deletion Option
- Merge Document action can now output to Word and merge consecutive Word documents
- Actions Tab in the Table Wizard
- Do Not Validate Required Fields and/or Run Rules with Action Buttons
- Save & Continue and Cancel & Reopen Buttons
- IP Address Access Restrictions
- Base Fonts are Available in the HTML Editor
- Expand and Collapse Sections in Record Layouts
- Hide Tabs in Record Layout when Visibility Conditions are Not Met
- Charts/Reports Formatting
- Custom Fonts in a Look and Feel Scheme
- Display Sync Details
- URL Encryption Function