Using Saved Searches to Work Efficiently
A Saved Search is a set of filters and search criteria that has been saved with a name. Administrators and individual users can save searches to find common sets of records, like in-progress records assigned to the user or their team. Saved searches are also are used throughout the system for rules, reports, permission filters, linked field filters, and more. There are many ways to use saved searches, and this article focuses on power users who want to use searches to more effectively find the records they need to work on.
Your administrator should have set up several saved searches that are accessible to working teams and groups that help you find the records you need to work on. For information about creating new saved searches if you have the necessary permissions, see Creating Saved Searches.
Access Saved Searches
You can access saved searches from several places, depending on your permissions. Click the image below to enlarge it.
As shown above, there are four locations where a saved search can be accessed:
- Under My Assigned, optionally including a count of records returned by the search. To add a search to My Assigned for a group, edit the search and select the group in the list for My Assigned. To show a count of records go to Preferences, click Left Pane Setup, and click the My Assigned cell, then select the "Show number of assigned records next to each search" checkbox.
- Under the table header on the left pane. To add a search here for a group, edit the search and select the group in the list for showing the search in the left pane.
- In the table's Search drop-down menu, underneath Show All. To add a search to this list for a group, make the search available to and active for the group.
- In the Manage option of the table's Search drop-down menu. This is visible only if you have permission to manage saved searches for the table.
After you click the search name, the search runs and the results are shown in the table view. The search name appears at the top of the table next to the table name.
Manage Your Saved Searches
As a power user, you can control where each saved search appears. To determine where searches appear, open the Search drop-down menu and click Manage. This opens a list of all available saved searches for the current table.
From here, you can choose which searches are active, available in the left pane, or available in the My Assigned menu:
- Active: Displays the saved search in the Search drop-down menu.
- Show in Left Pane: Displays the saved search underneath the relevant table in the left pane.
- Show in My Assigned: Displays the search in the My Assigned menu for quick access.
When you finish, click Save and Close to save your selections. The screen automatically refreshes with your new search preferences.