Using Saved Searches to Work Efficiently
A saved search is a set of filters and search criteria that has been saved with a name. Administrators and individual users can save searches to find common sets of records, like in-progress records assigned to the user or their team. Saved searches are also used throughout the system for rules, reports, permission filters, linked field filters, and more. There are many ways to use saved searches, and this article focuses on power users who want to use searches to more effectively find the records they need to work on.
Your administrator should have set up several saved searches that are accessible to working teams and groups that help you find the records you need to work on. For information about creating new saved searches if you have the necessary permissions, see Creating Saved Searches.
Accessing Saved Searches
You can access saved searches from several places, depending on your permissions. Click the image below to enlarge it.
As shown above, there are several locations where a saved search can be accessed:
- Under the My Assigned Inbox, which can be configured to show specified saved searches and record counts. To add a search here for a group, edit the search, go to the Apply tab, and select the group in the list for showing the search in My Assigned.
- Under the table header on the navigation menu. To add a search here for a group, edit the search, go to the Apply tab, and select the group in the list for showing the search in the navigation menu.
- In the table's search drop-down, underneath Show All. Switch searches by clicking the current search name. To add a search to the drop-down for a group, make the search available to and active for the group.
- In the Manage option of the table's Search drop-down. This is visible only if you have permission to manage saved searches for the table.
After you click the search name, the search runs and the results are shown in the table view. The search name appears at the top of the table below the table name. To refresh the search, click the search name to open the search drop-down and select the saved search again.
Pinning a Saved Search
To pin a saved search, run the search and then click the pin icon beside the search name. The pinned search is run automatically when you open the table for the first time in a session. The pinned search has (Pinned) appended to its name in the drop-down, and the pinned saved search is also shown at the top of the saved searches list when you expand a table from the navigation menu.
Managing Your Saved Searches
As a power user, you can control where each saved search appears. Open the search drop-down list from the desired table and click Manage. This opens a list of all available saved searches for the current table.
From here, you can choose which searches are active, available in the navigation menu, or available in the My Assigned menu:
- Active: Displays the saved search in the Search drop-down menu.
- Show in Navigation Menu: Displays the saved search underneath the relevant table in the navigation menu.
- Show in My Assigned: Displays the search in the My Assigned menu for quick access.
When you finish, click Save and Close to save your selections. The screen automatically refreshes with your new search preferences.