Singleton Check Fields
This data type shows a single checkbox, representing True when selected and False when cleared. The Singleton Check is useful for controlling visibility-dependent sections of the record form, such as a checkbox labeled Approval Required that shows or hides the fields used to specify an approver.
The Singleton Check also offers a way to visually represent a True/False toggle outside the Choice field display options. For example, a checkbox can be more intuitive than Yes/No radio buttons and faster to set than a drop-down menu.
This data type can also be shown in the table view with a checkmark icon, so users can see the selection at a glance more easily than skimming a column of Yes and No.
Create a Singleton Check
To create a new Singleton Check field:
- Click Setup [Table] and go to the Fields tab.
- In the New drop-down menu, select Singleton Check.
- Give your field a label and name, and add any admin notes you want to add. Notice that the Yes/No choice list is selected, but not editable. The Singleton Check always utilizes the default Yes/No choice list.
- Click Next.
On the Options tab:
- Choose whether the field is deletable.
- If desired, make viewing or editing the field conditional.
Select the default value for the field. If you select True, the box is selected by default; if you select False, the box is cleared by default. If you don't set this option, the default value will be True.
If you add a Singleton Check field to a table that already has records, the default value you specify here will be applied to all the existing records when you click Finish to create the field.
- You can also use hierarchical dependency to set the field to True or False based on a Choice field. For example, you might set an Approval Required checkbox to always be False (clear) when a certain Task Type is selected. To do so, select the Choice field you want to use as a dependency, click Dependent Choices Wizard, and complete the hierarchical dependency setup in the wizard.
- Click Next.
Complete the Permissions and Display tabs as desired.
Singleton Checks in Table Views
You can also add a Singleton Checkbox to table views for reference, and set them up for quick edit if desired.