The License menu can be accessed at Setup > License. From here you can:
- Request new licenses
- Manage existing licenses
- View license usage
Agiloft licensing is based on active named users. There are two basic types of users: power users and end users. Power users can log in to the power user interface and, depending on their group membership, can have the authority to edit records owned by other users. End users are restricted to the simpler and less privileged End User Interface. Additionally, end users are not able to edit records owned by other users. End users must have a read/request license, which refers to the privileges the license confers.
A license agreement may include named and floating user licenses. Briefly, named users are registered to use a particular license and have access to the system 24/7. Floating user licenses are shared by more than one user who logs into the system infrequently. They may remain logged in 24/7 provided there is an available floating license. Floating licenses are released two minutes after a user logs out, or after a user closes the last Agiloft browser window or tab.
Licensing is based on the hostname, KB name, and IP address of the server, so a new license must be generated and installed if Agiloft is moved from one server to another. This service is covered at no additional cost under the maintenance agreement.
- In the Manage License screen, the License Type column indicates what kind of license is installed. Contact email@example.com to learn more about the various editions of Agiloft or see our pricing page.
- The following page describes the differences between system features available in the different editions of Agiloft: Feature Comparison.
Request New Licenses
To request a new license:
- Log in to your knowledgebase as an administrator.
- Click the Setup gear in the top-right corner and click License.
- Click Request a New License.
Fill out the form to request new licenses. In the comments section, note which edition of Agiloft you've subscribed to.If you have any pricing or licensing queries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Confirm the default Hostname, IP, and Database, then fill out the contact information to receive your licenses.
- Click Submit Request.
- Check your email inbox. Most license requests arrive within a few minutes; the email will contain the license keys for you to install.
Note that you can define where the user is brought after requesting a new license on a KB and server level using the Manual License Request URL global variable.
From the License Management screen you can install and delete licenses, view license parameters, and manage assigned licenses.
To install a license:
- Go to Setup > License > Manage Licenses.
- Click New.
- Copy and paste the License key from your email into the input box.
- Click Install License.
Manage Assigned Licenses
Agiloft offers a flexible way to manage and assign licenses by user, via saved searches, or automatically. By default, most User licenses are assigned automatically as they log in to the system. For instance, when a user in a designated Power User permission group logs in for the first time, the system assigns one of the available named licenses to that user.
Set the license assignment policy
- From the License Management screen, click Manage Assigned Licenses for the appropriate license. This button only appears for user-type licenses.
- Select the assignment policy. License assignment works in the following way:
- If the option "license is applied automatically upon login.
- If the option "Automatically when a user record is created that meets this saved search" is selected and the user logging in satisfies the saved search condition, the assigned license is applied.
- If the option "Wait for them to be assigned by an admin" is selected and the admin already assigned one of the assigned licenses to the user, then the assigned license is applied.
- If there are no assigned licenses available, and the user has not already had an assigned license assigned to him due to one of the above conditions, then a concurrent floating license is used.
- Click Finish to apply your selection to the license assignment.
- Click the View/Manage Assigned License button to open a window where the admin can select users using the magnifying glass icon, and assign licenses for all of them at once via the Assign Selected Users button.
Assign user licenses manually
- From the Licenses Management screen, click View/Manage Assigned License next to the appropriate license.
- Click View/Manage Assigned License.
- Use the look-up icon to find and select the users.
- Click Import/Append to add the users to the selection.
- Once the users are imported, select their records again and click Assign Selected Users.
- When the screen refreshes, the newly assigned users appear in the Current Assigned Licenses embedded table.
View license details
From the Licenses Management screen, click the magnifying glass to view any of the license types and see more information about them, such as their start date, number of users, and number of minutes before the license is considered inactive.
For floating licenses, the inactivity timeout is usually short, so that other users can take those licenses when needed. Assigned licenses stay assigned for a default span of 30 days (or 43200 minutes) before they are automatically released. If an assigned user does not log in to the system for that period, the assignment is removed and must be added back manually.
Terminate User Licenses
Terminating a users license will prevent them from logging in to the system, and frees the license so it can be assigned to another user. There are two ways to terminate user licenses.
Immediately terminate a user's license
- Go to Setup > License > View Usage to open the License Usage screen
- Select a user.
- Click Terminate a user on the action bar. Click OK in the confirmation dialog. The user's lock on the license will expire after 24 hours unless they log in; after 24 hours the the license will be available for assignment to another user.
Terminate multiple licensed power users
- Go to Setup > License > Manage Licenses. This screen shows the currently available license types: power user, enterprise, etc.
- Click Manage Assigned Licenses for the appropriate license type, typically power user.
- In the next screen, click View/Manage Assigned License.
- Use the checkboxes to multi-select users, then click Terminate a user.
- Click OK in the confirmation.
View License Usage
To view license usage, go to Setup > License > View Usage. This screen shows a list of all users currently using a license, the date of their last login, and other license usage details.
In the license usage screen you can:
- Terminate user licenses
- Log a user out
- Log out all users
Configure "Out of Licenses" Notification
This email notification is sent when lack of licenses prevents a user from logging in. To configure the notification, go to Setup > License > Out of Licenses Email. From here, you can select teams and users to receive the notification; you can also configure the From address, subject, and body of the notification email.