Left Pane Setup
The Left Pane Setup area offers the ability to customize the left pane on a team-wide basis. Changes made here will appear for all selected teams, unless a user has customized their own left pane in their Preferences menu. Any number of left pane configurations can be created and applied to teams.
Left Pane Wizard
Left pane configurations are customized with the Left Pane wizard. The wizard contains four tabs for customizing the availability of menu items on the left pane, the order of those items, and which tables appear on the left pane.
To access the Left Pane wizard...
- Go to Setup > Look and Feel > Left Pane Setup.
- Edit an existing left pane configuration, or click New to create a new configuration.
On the General tab, you can add a label, a name, and a description for the left pane configuration.
The Content tab displays the menu items in the left pane, such as Home, Setup, Communications, and Tables. Clicking and dragging an item lets you reorder it. Selecting or deselecting a checkbox adds or removes an item from the left pane altogether. Due to their importance, you'll receive a warning message if you attempt to remove the Setup and Table items from the left pane.
Several of the items have additional options when selected. For instance, the Home item has the following:
The following sections have additional options when selected:
- Home: contains options for displaying the Dashboards, Summary/Combined Reports, My Profile, and Preferences menu items.
- Communications: contains options for which records should be displayed when the Communication tab is clicked.
- My Assigned: contains an option for displaying the number of assigned records next to each search in the My Assigned inbox.
- Last Opened: contains an option for the maximum number of records to display in the Last Opened list, as well as whether Last Opened records are opened in edit mode.
The Tables tab allows you to select which tables are displayed on the left pane and the order of the tables. The list on this tab shows all tables in the knowledgebase, regardless of additional group permissions. If a group has the option "Show table on the Toolbar?" set to No in the Table Permissions wizard for a particular table, and they are viewing the Left Pane wizard from their Preferences menu, they will still see that table on the list.
You can drag tables and groupings on the right-hand list to reorder their placement. You can add or remove tables from the left pane by selecting the table in the appropriate list and clicking Add or Remove. The Table wizard also contains a Left Pane tab that allows you to choose whether to add or remove the table from specified left panes.
Add a Left Pane Grouping
You can choose to group tables under a common heading by placing them in a table grouping:
- Click New Grouping, add a name, and click Finish.
- Drag tables into the new grouping header to include tables in that grouping. The same table can be added to multiple groupings, so you can design the groupings to match whatever system requirements you have.
You can also add separators to demarcate between tables or groupings.
Remove a Left Pane Grouping
- To remove a grouping, select it and click Remove.
A dialog will open asking you to confirm the removal. Tables in the grouping will also be removed and must be selected from the left-hand list and re-added, if desired.
Tables that are removed use a different text style from the other tables.
The Apply tab lets you select the teams that will use the left pane configuration.
The "Apply changes to me now" option applies the new configuration to you. If this is deselected, the changes will apply to the selected teams but will not override your personalized left pane.
The "Notify existing users about change to their default preferences" option creates a notification for any users who have already customized their left pane, which the new changes would disrupt. When the user logs back into their knowledgebase, their Home > Preferences menu will display a Notice icon. When they access their Left Pane wizard, the administrator's message will be displayed to them, and they can choose whether to accept or reject the admin's changes. If you do not enter a message, the notification will not appear, and they will not be able to set their left pane configuration to their team's new configuration.