Exporting Record Data
You can export data from one or many records into several formats: text, XML, or JSON file, or Excel spreadsheet. This can be useful for reporting data to others outside the system, or for adding or correcting a large amount of data. You might also use a data export to create a template file you can use to import data, to make sure the formatting is appropriate.
You can export records you manually selected in the table, records matching a saved search, or all records in the table. If you want to use a saved search, create the search before you begin the steps below.
To export data from a table:
- Navigate to the table that holds the data you want to export.
- If you want to export certain records that don't share useful search criteria, select the checkbox for each record you want to export. Otherwise, you can use a saved search later, or export all the records in the table.
- Hover over Actions on the action bar and click Export. The Export wizard opens.
- On the Destination tab, select where you want to save the export file. You can export to your local hard drive, TMP directory on the server, or home directory on the server.
- On the Data Format tab, select the format for the export file.
- On the Options tab, choose which records you want to export:
- Only selected records. Export only the records selected in the table view. If you didn't select any before clicking Export, this option is disabled.
- Only records matching search. Export any records in the table that match the selected saved search. You must select an existing saved search, or exit the wizard, create a saved search, and repeat the previous steps.
- All records. Export every record in the table.
- Choose whether to export table labels, whether to include attached files, and which time zone to use for date/time fields.
- Choose which fields to include in your export:
- All. Export all fields you have permission to view.
Use this View. Export all fields included in the selected table view. You can also edit the selected view from here to make changes.
When you export using a view, the file looks just like the table view: values that are too long are cut off. To avoid this, use one of the other options or adjust the width settings in the view you want to use.
- These fields only. Manually select the fields you want to export from a list of the table's fields. You can clear or select every field using the buttons at the bottom of the list.
- Click Finish to complete your export. When the file is ready, a link appears for you to download the file.